Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tales from the Freezer...

This year I will turn 40. This is the year I should get in shape. But unfortunately, this is the year that they finally started selling Blue Bell ice cream in my state. My love affair with Blue Bell began in college. If you live in Texas for any length of time you will invariably buy a pair of cowboy boots, learn to two-step, and without a doubt fall in love with the native dessert of the land...Blue Bell ice cream.I was a skeptic at first. I thought all the talk I had heard about this famed frozen creation was just another thing on a long list that Texans enjoyed bragging about, one more pillar to the whole "Don't Mess with Texas" dogma...but I was so wrong.

My first taste of Blue Bell came at the end of my sophomore year. It was the week of spring finals and my Sweetie and I were taking a much needed study break. We wound up at an odd little burger joint a couple of blocks from campus. They were closing up for the night and had already shut down the grill. We were out of luck, we would have no deep fried carbohydrates to fuel our midnight study session. They would sell us a couple of scoops of ice cream though if we wanted, so we went that route. My Sweetie had Rocky Road and I opted for White Chocolate. We both took a bite at about the same time from our respective cups, looked up to catch each other's eye, and exchanged the same "OMG, this is the best stuff I've ever eaten!" look. We were hooked. The rest of that week we glided through finals easily, riding the high from our nightly ice cream fixes. Sadly, the conclusion of finals brought the end of term. We both had to return to our home state and leave Texas, each other, and Blue Blue for three long months. But we survived. Our love affair with each other and Blue Bell would last for the rest of our college career and carry over into our married life. We have had each other, but been without a ready supply of Blue Bell now for seventeen years. But that all changed this week. As you can see, we are making up for lost time. It's so much more economical by the half gallon instead of the scoop. Don't ya think?

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Ohhhh my goodness. I used to get that when we lived in New Orleans. Most amazing butter pecan. Mmmmm....

Wanda said...

If my husband sings their song one more time..I think I will shove some Blue Bell ice cream down his throat. :) Texans and their Blue Bell...at least their bragging holds up on this one.

birdie blue said...

Cute story. In Illinois they sell Blue Bunny, but not Blue Bell.

Lucrecia said...

I live in Texas, and even I didn't know about the Blackberry Cobbler - I think I'll be stopping by HEB on the way home! :-)

shana said...

Never tasted Blue Bell but love the containers.

Michelle said...

You MUST try "Happy Tracks" (after eating this for the first time my 9year old turned to me and said, "I wish I had a tongue in my tummy so I could taste this all over again!") and definately "Moo-lenium Crunch" and don't let the name fool you, but "Birthday Cake" is better than any cake I have EVER had.
Don't be jealous but the little town of Brenham (Blue Bell's home) is a mere 45 minutes from where we live...AND THEY HAVE TOURS!