Thursday, May 22, 2008

To Bee or Not to Bee

When I received my current issue of Martha Stewart Living, the cover photo was very familiar to me. Last summer when my baby girl turned two I had as the theme of her birthday party, "A Winnie the Pooh Picnic." My inspiration for this came from a Williams-Sonoma catalog which featured a bee hive shaped cake made from a pan they were selling. You could even purchase a little box of sugar paste bees to adorn your finished masterpiece. I thought this cake would make a really cute table decoration for the party, so I purchased both the pan and the bees.

When making the cake I cheated and used a boxed spice cake mix along with a can of cream cheese flavored icing, even though the pan came with recipe suggestions. I heated the icing just a bit in the microwave to make it pourable. (You didn't know you would get a Semi-Homemade episode when you tuned in today now did you?) I was probably heavy handed when I started applying the icing. I think I glopped rather than drizzled. I my defense I will say that I had to apply a lot of icing to make the two halves stick together, and one thing led to another...you know how that is. Anyway, after applying the icing I had a handful of bees come in for a landing for the finishing touch. I don't know if I will have a need for this pan again, but the first go round was fun.And here I thought I could make it through a week without posting about cake. I guess I'll have to rename my blog...welcome to Cake Life everybody!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't!! I can't believe you made that cute beehive cake! I got my issue and thought how cute, but too much work! I like your corner-cutting idea though. I wanted that huge cupcake pan I saw at Michaels the other day but didn't want to pay for it! Maybe I'll break down one of these days... And, you know, blogging about cake every day isn't a bad thing!
xo natalea

Andrea Singarella said...

cute, cute, cute idea for a party theme! I share your dilemma: it is hard not to mention cake or sweets in every other post, it seems!